Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Book Review: Nurse The True Story of Mary Benjamin, R.N.





Hello Everyone! I'm back today with a review on the latest book that I have finished. This book is titled "Nurse The True Story of Mary Benjamin, R.N. " by Peggy Anderson. This book is a nonfiction book, which is a different type of genre than what I usually read. But despite this I still found this book very enjoyable because you all may know from my "About Me" section, I am a nursing major in college. 

To begin, let's start with the synopsis of this book.

"Sometimes I help people live. Sometimes I help them die. Always, I help them. I'm a Nurse. The shocking, inspiring, surprise bestseller Nurse is the story of eight weeks in the life of a nurse in a large urban hospital. It is all here:  the joy and pain; the death and drama; the mistakes, successes, and secrets. Nurse reads like a novel, but sticks in the memory like real experience. Because it is.
NURSE
The True Story of Mary Benjamin, R.N. 



Now for my opinion. 
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I received it as a gift and like I previously stated, I have not read many books like this before so I did not know what to expect. I was afraid that it would be boring or difficult to understand. But to my surprise, the line from the synopsis is true. This book reads like many of the other novels that I have read before, but you still do you remember that these stories are true, and the people that are involved with them are real. The narrator, who is Mary Benjamin, R.N. speaks to you through this book like you are sitting right beside her. I liked how when she described certain procedures that she would have to perform on patients, she would also describe them so that you, as the reader, could easily understand. You could tell by the way that Mary described her job and patients that she enjoyed being a nurse and this made her very like able. 



I also like this book for the details of  patients that it involved. I do not live in an urban city so I do not know if I will ever encounter some of the situations or people she described, but it was nice to hear about her experiences in her urban hospital because I believe hearing this knowledge is better than not. This knowledge will be useful to me as a nursing student and future R.N. because it will help to keep my mind open to all situations and people that I may someday have to care for. 



This book was an excellent, enjoyable, and easy read. It has helped excite me even more for the possibilities of what I could achieve in my future nursing career. It has also introduced me to a new aisle at the bookstore, because it has made me what to seek out other nurses' stories and experiences. Whether you are a nursing student like me or you are already a nurse, I would highly recommend checking out this book. 


If you all would like to see more posts with tips for applying to nursing schools or as the new school year approaches in August, more info about my experiences with starting nursing school let me know down in the comments or in an email to 
KatchingUpWithKaitlyn@gmail.com 

I hope you all enjoyed this book review. Thankx for reading!

Until next time,
XOXO
Kaitlyn 



No comments:

Post a Comment